Monday, August 14, 2017

Cherrywood Challenge 2017

When we were in Houston last fall, 
I admired the 2017 Cherrywood Challenge.
It was BLUE!!

If you know me at all.....I love blue.

No brainer....I had to try.

I have entered the Hoffman Challenge twice and both pieces have travelled.
(one still is!!)

I have nothing to lose but time...

This piece had to be VanGogh inspired, 20"square, read 70% blue, 
and
 contain all Cherrywood fabric

I didn't know a whole lot about Van Gogh so I started doing a little research

Every search brought up 'Starry Nights"
I loved it but figured that will be most people's inspiration

So I decided to go 
with
 'Starry Nights Over the Rhone'
 
I started with my plan using the required 3 blues and a black 
and 
added yellow

I folded my inspiration photo in sections 
and
 then my required size pattern into the same sections
 
 

I know....it was rough...but a guideline!

I wanted my fabric to resemble brush strokes like Vincent's
 
The layering began....
My husband came to look at one point 
and
 asked if it was required to chop it up that small??

Nope....but I needed to in order to get my desired effect!!
 

I don't do much thread painting so I 'roughed' in my buildings and people...
 
 
Before you know it....

I had MY rendition of Starry Nights Over the Rhone!

I saw a quote of his I liked so I stitched it into a corner
"I dream my painting and I paint my dream"

 

I submitted and waited.....
Then the email came!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How exciting!!
Let's see where it goes from here!
Christa 


9 comments:

  1. Your fearlessness makes me jealous, Christa!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your version is gorgeous. I've seen a few others finalists on my instagram feed, yours is my favorite. Fingers crossed for the next round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaynie! I look forward to seeing some of the others! September 1 is the next deadline!

      Delete
  3. Great job. Congratulations. It never hurts to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. You are so fearless. I am sure you will be one of the chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this interpretation in fabric! Congratulations and good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and hope your enjoyed!!

Bucket Bag Tutorial

 I thought I would try to show you how to make one of these bucket bags... They are fast and easy. I used 2 Fat Quarters and some batting. I...