Thursday, November 23, 2017

Batiks....oh Happy Days!!

Batiks...
 
 
That is the real reason we came to Bali.
 
Sounds crazy but when you have a fabric addiction....
 
 
We were led into a private residence to have a chance to try making our own
 
 
 
 
 
All kinds of colors....
 
 
It was crazy how great they turned out.
 
Bonnie Freitags picture....
 
 
Val Leis picture.....
 
 
Trudi Hutchinson and Jill Thorn....
 
 
Th results were stunning....
 
 
Colleen Sproute
 
 
We can not take all the credit though...
 
We had great teachers who helped us with the process
 
 
This man was amazing.
 
Nyoman Suradnya.
 
He drew some of our pictures for us to have a guideline
 
His program is called Nirvana Batik Course.
 
For more info - Here
 
He has been allover the world teaching art.
 
 
I asked for frogs like the silver store ones
 
 
 
It was super hot and we were working with even hotter wax.
 
But we had a good time.
 
THIS is what we came to do.
 
It was at the top of my list anyways....
 
 
Terry drew feathers and flowers
 
 
Maryann did an amazing abstract
 
 
Colleen's was a volcano and rice patties
 
 
 
If we had trouble with color choice,
 
 they helped guide us or even FIXED it!!
 
 
Working hard....
 
 
This was such a quiet and quaint spot 
from
 all the hustle and bustle of 4M peeps of Bali
 
 
I loved all the detail in the stones on these walls.
 
This kind of detail is everywhere in Bali.
 
Such workmanship...
 
 
Terrys picture in progress
 
 
Maryanns.....
 
 
Everyone did a fabulous job!!
 
Sandi,Christa,Terry,Heather Val,Shelby and Colleen
 
 
 
 
 
Shelley, Bonnie, Jill and Val
 
 
 
This was my end result...
 
 
We also finally made it to couple of stores to purchase some batik fabrics
 
My favorite was C.V.Dewi Mas
 
 
We went back twice...once was not enough!!
 
Look at all this color......
 
 
SOOOO much choices!!
 
At 2.70 per Metre...
 
You can only imagine the fabric flying!!!!
 
This lady led us to Dewi from the Maju store crossing traffic that was so dangerous.
 
She said it was her job...she carries our packages.
 
We paid her when we got back to our cab safely!!
 
 
Little did we know she was connected to the Dewi Store some how
as
she was working at the store when we came back.
 
I tell you...we are such tourists!!
 
We had a quick stop to look at some reconditioned machines named butterfly
 
 
Then it was on the Maju Batiks.
 
It's funny..... 
 
When we were at DEWI MAS, the man said he is the nicer guy.
 
He said MAJU... nicer store...not nice guy.
 
 
It was definitely my favorite store.
 
He gave us alll a free scarf for coming back....said Merry Christmas! 
 
 
Next....
 we hit up a notions store called Central.
 
It was jam packed......I mean JAMMM PACCKED
 
sliding room only.....through the rows
 
 
Three floors at this location
 
 
Overwhelming!!!
 
 
The owner came out and chatted with me.
 
He had 10 stores.... all with different notions in each.
 
There was another across the street so we risked our lives again crossing the street.
 
I was so estatic....I found my industrial sewing machine for 50$
 
Would have been 500$ here....
 
I am set for life with 550 needles!!
 
If that wasn't enough...
 
he said he gives you a bag lunch if you purchase anything!!
 
 
Our driver was set as a couple of us gave this lunch to him!
 
Still washing up my 60 metres....
 
Christa
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Everyone's batiks are gorgeous. I can hardly wait to see some in person.

    This arm chair traveller doesn't get the feeling that Bali is densely populated. All I see is green and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that...I guess you can see what I am attracted to as I just stopped taking city pictures as it just didn't do it justice to the true feeling of the density. I sooo loved when we got into the mountains and rice patties!!

      Delete
  2. Time to confess! I did think that there was an error on my batik bill from Dewi's. I only had the one credit card charge from Dewi's and it did not match my handwritten bill at all. I could not figure out even what the mistake was as it was way off not an added zero. I was going through some of my other purchases and came to my little bag of silver jewelry - in a Dewi's Gold and Silver shop bag. It was then that I realized the charge was for my silver jewelry not my batiks. I think I paid cash for the batiks so no credit card charge. I hadn't realized they were both called Dewi's.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and hope your enjoyed!!

Bucket Bag Tutorial

 I thought I would try to show you how to make one of these bucket bags... They are fast and easy. I used 2 Fat Quarters and some batting. I...